Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Vegan lunch Ideas!

I'm not vegan, but the only food I need to eliminate from my diet is fish and I will be there! I don't think I am going to do it right now, since I am in college and barely have any time to prepare meals for myself. I am so grateful that my mother cooks, so I come home to a meal , this saves me so much time to work on the assignments that keep adding to the pile. Today I thought I might share some vegan lunch ideas with you guys. I am limited when it comes to lunch options at school, because everybody loves meat where I go to school :)

These are really simple and takes about 20 mins if you have to cook, but they are really tasty and will keep you full right throughout the day. I have four hours of classes on Tuesdays before I get a break, and by that time I am famished, so it is  convenient to take my own lunch and have it whenever I please. As usual most of my ideas came from the lovely Pinterest. I hope these will help, because they work so well for me, which is why I was excited to share.



1. Tofu Sandwich


3 slices Wheat Bread

1 Package Tofu

1 Tomato

3 Onion rings

Lettuce


Season Tofu overnight, as this allows the flavours to penetrate and makes it really yummy :)
Bake, fry or grill tofu
Cut however thick or thin you like
Place lettuce on Bread
Add Tofu, Onion rings and Tomato
Enjoy!!!

2. Pasta with tomato sauce



1 pack pasta (I use veggie/organic pasta)
1 small can Tomato sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves Garlic
1/2 Onion
1/2 Bell pepper/ Hot pepper
1 tsp salt
skillet/ frying pan
sauce pan


Add salt to water and leave to boil
Add pasta to boiling water and let cook until tender
Drain water and let pasta sit
Saute chopped onion, garlic, pepper to olive oil for two minutes
pour pasta on top and stir until everything is combined
Pour into bowl and mix in tomato sauce.


3. Beans and Rice


1 can chick peas/ Garbanzo ( you can use any bean of your choice)
1 bell pepper
1 onion
1 tbsp salt
 1 cup Coconut milk
2 tbsp curry powder
pepper to taste
1 pound brown rice

Sauté curry powder,bell pepper and onion
pour coconut milk until you achieve a thick consistency, turn down flame and allow to simmer
Add beans and simmer for 5 minutes

Rice:
Add washed brown rice to boiling water ( water should be just above the rice)
Turn down flame as soon as the water evaporates
Cook until grains are tender

Pour beans over hot rice and enjoy!

4. Fruit smoothie


1 banana
1 apple
1 strawberry/ Kiwi (strawberries are not readily available in my country)
1 Orange

Blend using the liquefy option and enjoy with some crackers and peanut butter, or any spread of your choice!



Snacks in-between can include:

A fruit (go for Bananas or a fruit bowl)

Crackers with spreads or dips


Baked chips (Sweet Potato, Plantain, Bananas,Kale)


Granola Bar (I prefer homemade)


Butter free popcorn


Baked seeds (my favourite is pumpkin)

Until next time:
"Laugh as long as you breathe, love as long as you live"

Cheers
Renee'




No comments:

Post a Comment